Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ruby, Maribrynong

Ruby is a large pub located at Highpoint Shopping Centre, Maribrynong. It attracts a lot of uni students and families because of its "Parma Promotion" on Monday and Tuesday nights. Parma Promotion (Chicken Parmagiana) starts at 6 pm and the price corresponds with the time.

i.e. 6 pm - A$6.00
7 pm - A$7.00
8 pm - A$8.00 *and so on*

Interesting, isn't it? I wonder if there are such promotions in Malaysia...

I believe the normal price for a Chicken Parmagiana is $15.90, therefore it is a definite good value. Its very normal for pubs around Australia to have cheap food to attract customers because they then made it up with beers and drinks.

And so, J and I went there one Monday night at 5.55pm to take advantage of the A$6 meals. Heh. Already, there were a number of uni students around the lounge chatting and playing pools. I guessed that they have already placed their orders since I noticed drinks on their tables.

We placed 2 orders of Chicken Parma and a beer for J with a total bill of $15.50 at the bar. The barman then gave us a small metal stand with our number on top to bring it to our table. As we were chatting at our table, the waitresses soon bring out the parmas from the kitchen.

They were carrying 2 plates on each arm - serving 3-4 plates at a time to keep up with many hungry diners (mostly big, young uni guys).


Chicken Parmagiana for a mere $6

These meat were gigantic. J and I happy that they did not skimped out on ingredients but deep down inside, I was a little nervous because I do not think that I could finish it all.



Chicken Parmagiana on a bed of Chips with Salad

Oh, these were delicious!! These schnitzel were first pan-fried and then topped with napoli sauce and cheese and baked in the oven till the cheese melted. I took my my first bite and could taste the meaty juicy chicken - slightly tangy with tomato sauce and the rich taste of cheese. Topped up with hot cripsy chips with soft centre, eaten with dollops of ketchup, they are absolute scrumptious. The salad is dressed with simple balsamic vinegar and olive oil giving it a fresh taste. There were rockets, lettuce, onions and tomatoes. Simply refreshing!



My unfinished schnitzel

But, alas! Halfway through my meal, my tummy had expanded to to the size of a basketball and I decided to call it quits. Half a shitzel was left uneaten on my plate. J, on the other hand, finished his meal but had to waddle slowly back to the car due to being too full. It was a great dinner and is one of my favourites now. But next time, I will remember to fast the whole day first.

Ruby
Level 1 Highpoint Shopping Centre, Maribyrnong, 3032.





No comments: